Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed as assigned to this classification.
1. Assists assigned staff attorneys by preparing legal pleadings and documents, maintaining case files and carrying out trial support activities rapidly and accurately and drafting, preparing, filing and service of court documents; word processes drafts of legal documents, contracts and correspondence from written or dictated materials; formats materials according to applicable court requirements and legal and office standards; assists with the transmittal of agreements; assists in preparation of ordinances and resolutions.
2. Provides administrative support to assigned attorneys; proofreads and edits drafts for spelling and grammar; operates computers and other standard office equipment to produce legal documents; proofreads and copies documents; receives, reviews and disseminates interdepartmental requests for legal assistance; requests for legal approvals of agreements, requests for legal approval of real estate documents, agenda sheets, memoranda and various other Port business documents..
3. Receives and screens visitors and telephone calls, providing information and handling issues that may require sensitivity and the use of sound independent judgment; conducts legal research, responds to requests for information and complaints from employees and the public, refers the request or complaint to appropriate staff and/or takes or recommends action to resolve the issue.
4. Annotates and maintains trial/docket calendars for assigned attorneys; schedules and confirms appointments for interviews and conferences between parties; arranges and schedules meetings, arbitrations, mediations, settlement conferences, administrative hearings and depositions, including scheduling court reporters and reserving conference rooms; coordinates with court clerks regarding court dates and deadlines.
5. Maintains case files by opening, filing, updating and closing files as appropriate; designs and maintains cross-reference filing index and reminder systems for legal staff and client bureaus; maintains up-to-date database of all legal files.
6. Assists in the investigation of claims, including contacting Port divisions and attorneys for documents and analyzing files.
7. Maintains administrative and legal references; replaces outdated information with current information supplied by publishers, attorneys or administrative staff.
8. Provides back-up and assists paralegals and other legal secretarial staff; assists staff with methods, practices, techniques and uses of word processing, graphics, database and other software programs.
9. Prepares travel and training requests; makes and confirms travel and other arrangements for conferences and business trips; types itineraries and compiles expense reports.
10. Enters time sheet information for department employees in the Port's payroll system.
11. Orders office supplies and equipment; prepares requisitions and work order requests; coordinates repairs of office equipment with outside vendors.
12. Processes outside counsel billings and other general office billings; prepares summaries of outside counsel, expert and consultant billings as requested and for use in insurance recovery.
13. Receives, reviews and tracks agenda items.
> Paralegal degree or certificate and/or 3+ years of legal experience
> Law office litigation and pleading practices, administrative practices and procedures.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Interested applicant should forward their resume to hrm.villegasintegratedservices @gmail.com.
Shortlisted applicant will be contacted